The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Go, Dogs, Go!

I happened to tune into a marvelously interesting documentary on Theodore Geisel last night on PBS. It was titled "The Political Dr. Seuss", and covered Geisel's early work as well as the childrens' books many of us grew up on.

One lovely anecdote was the time Art Buchwald challenged Ted by accusing him of never having written a political book. Geisel promptly picked up a copy of his book "Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!", drew a line through every mention of Marvin's name and replaced it with Richard M. Nixon. This, of course, drew gales of laughter from Art. He talked Geisel into letting him publish the resulting text in his syndicated column.

Nine days after it appeared, Richard Nixon resigned.

Ted told Art they should have done it years before.

And in that vein, let's hope we can get a similar result; the sooner the better.

9 Comments:

Blogger meldonna said...

I do not like him in the House,
I do not like him with his spouse.

I do not like him on a boat,
I do not like him, so I vote.

I do not like Bullshit and Spam,
I do not like him, Sam I Am. (alito)

~~sorry, folks, I had to~~

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I do not like him so I vote" ... You're on a roll, mel! So, you're saying it's time to Nixon him? I cannot imagine a more delightful duo than Art & Ted. Sorry I missed it. And Art's still around, cheating death, smoking ceegars & eating Big Macs. what a guy.

ps, I sleep on Ted Geisel's old bed...well, almost! It's a special orthopedic bed custom mfr'd by a san diego company. In their showroom was a display of a chunk of the actual bed they had mfr'd for Ted that he slept on for the last 20-yrs of his life. The minute I saw that, I knew it was the bed I wanted. great advertising. ~~ D.K.

12:26 AM  
Blogger meldonna said...

The documentary was such a delight...like pretty much every kid born in America in the last fifty years or so, Dr. Seuss has a special place in my heart.

One of a kind. Catch the show if you can: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/politicaldrseuss/

2:32 AM  
Blogger azgoddess said...

thanks for the link..and mel - you are GREAT!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Octavian said...

Art is hard, that's what they say. But not as hard as impeachment.

2:01 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

At this point I'm not even sure we need investigations; there's plenty on the whole gang that's already common public knowledge. We just need the Dems to connect the dots and start the hearings.

The only hard part about impeachment this time is the political will to do it.

2:46 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I love his work. Damn, I wish I had seen the special.

The Lorax had a politcal/environmental theme to it. But not as good as the nixon-ish one you mention.

I have a fair collection of his books and always looking for more.

3:00 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

This is a great post..we love the Great Doctor...sigh....boy he would have a hey day with this administration....

My son is born on Dr. S' s Birthday...so we have always celebrated it with Dr S themes....when 6-6 was 8 I took him to Oregon to say goodbye to Willie ( Keiko) before they moved him to his new home ..we stayed at a B&B and it was a Writers Theme place- so we stayed in the Dr.Seuss room-- so cool...and it had kinds of great memorabilia and also a Horton in the shower..it was awesome...

DK- I am totally envious of the bed...sigh...

11:17 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

I wasn't shocked myself about the idea of Dr. Seuss being political...mainly because my extremely conservative father tended to poo-poo some of the kid books when I was a kid myself. By the time I was ten, I already knew if Daddy disapproved, it was probably interesting. And if Daddy said if was "of the Devil", it was vital knowledge.

Needless to say, anything described as "n*gger music" was THE forbidden fruit. And I couldn't Get enough Satisfaction.

Mom satisfied her own conservatism by enjoying the music of Lennon and McCartney, but lamenting the fact John had to be so "weird". A judgement she also used for various members of our extended family, who she loved anyway. I've never heard Mama say anything negative about John after he was killed...and when my kid brother was way into Pantera she told me in the nineties she missed me and my Beatles. Man, don't we all live and learn!

Of course, it's all Geisel's fault. The Cat in the Hat was a subversive rascal, hellbent to amuse the kids. Then again, he did clean up afterwards...

The exact model for every keg party I've ever thrown. Go figure.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home