The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Nukuler Fallout

Oompa Loompa Doompity Doo
I've got a-nother question for you...

Naw, I'm not going to make a lame limerick outta that; this nice picture tends to speak for itself! Good work by seeds of doubt.

Speaking of limericks! I'm calling the contest CLOSED; and modifying plans a little. Look for the Top Five next Tuesday, and feel free to sound off on your favorite before Halloween.

I want to say a personal thanks to everybody who participated in the limerick madness, whether you were able to submit, or even finish one! I know I myself learned a new appreciation for anyone who attemps to write verse of any sort. I have to say for me, the mental image of Dada counting syllables to himself on his morning walks while the neighbors are going "huh?" is priceless in and of itself. Thanks again to everyone, and be sure to check back next week and chime in.

One last thought on the current state of the upcoming election: If the Dems don't take back at least the House, there will no longer be any question our elections are shamelessly rigged. Word.

Peace out, y'all.

5 Comments:

Blogger azgoddess said...

so true...we need to watch this election very closely..

and take to the streets...like other countries have been doing

do ya think we could turn off our tv's long enough?? tongue in cheek

i loved this post...oompa loompa doompity do -- precious!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Dada said...

Hi Mel, az: I mentioned the limmerick contest to friends while in Taos. I guess counting syllables on my fingers was funny alright. That's cause one of 'em suggested I needn't (ought not) do that. That advice came from a friend who is nearly blind and who turns 75 next week as we sat in a small circle of friends, sipping wine.

She's quite sharp, i.e., if you start a poem to which you don't recall the lines, she'll likely be able to finish it for you. She writes her own poetry. And so, while on the subject of limmericks, she shared the following she remembered from many, many years ago. It came from her mother she said and goes like this:

On the breast of a a lady named Gail
was tattooed the price of her tail
and on her behind
for the sake of the blind
was repeated the message in Braille!

I guess I haven't completely returned from Taos yet, hence, I've taken the "Daily" out of "Dada's Dally" for now.

And I suppose I'm kinda waiting to see how this election deal's going to go too.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mel, I know I had fun limericking, even through sweat-drenched 'brows. Though you disqualified yourself (thus proving you have more scruples than Scalia or Thomas), I hope you include a couple of your OWN in the recap.

re: elections ... I tried to look up the Vegas "Book" today, just to see what the gambler's odds are. Surprise! These numbers are no longer easily available online. But being an old vegas desert rat, there's always a back door (my bro-in-law who hangs at the Sports Bar). He says latest odds are 3:1 repubs will lose house majority. Senate is statistical dead heat, they're not taking bets, except on individual senate races. Another interesting caveat this year: they will only pay on official counts done by Nov 10th. But you know vegas: you can bet on anything & the only rule is the odds are with the house! ~~ D.K.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, mel, I got another limerick for ya. Not from me, but from GWB! According to Hunter Thompson (excerpts from Fear & Loathing, Campaign 2004), when young Bush was at Yale in the 60's he told the same limerick over & over:

"There was a young man named Green
Who invented a jack-off machine.
On the twenty-third stroke,
The damn thing broke,
And churned his nuts into cream."

Ouch! future prez frat-boy humor hurts. Some other HST observations that may be truer this election than when he wrote them in 2004:

"A gang of Halliburton thugs run the White House today & will still be running it next year if we (the once-proud, once-loved & widely-respected "American people") don't rise up like wounded warriors and whack those lying petroleum pimps out on election day."

Otherwise, "Your neighbor's grandchildren will be fighting this stupid, greed-crazed Bush-family-war against the whole Islamic world for the rest of their lives".

oooh, I feel an HST gooseflesh-rush. There's another good one that I'm gonna put at dada's now. ~~ D.K.

11:00 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

Man, I miss Hunter. Poor fella; he saw too clearly.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home