The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Springtime in Paris

One afternoon the April before last, I was walking home from the market in Seattle when I came upon two rather amused gentlemen about a half a block from my apartment. As I approached, I quickly discovered the source of their guffaws, as I spied a comely young mallard couple in a small alcove doing, er, what the birds and the bees do, while emitting a few quivering, quavering quacks. One of the gentlemen kept exclaiming "It’s springtime in Paris!" and then bursting into fresh gales of mirth. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud myself.
Not since that April afternoon two years ago have I had that sense of joy; of amusement, tinged with a bit of bawdy naughtiness, and flavored with the satisfaction of nature taking her rightful course.

Until now.

I just completed reading Truthout’s day-long, moment-by-moment coverage of Alberto "I Don’t Recall" Gonzales’ tortured (damn right pun intended), quivering, quavering performance before the Senate Judiciary Committee today; maybe, at long last, this is the beginning of the end of the Nightmare. While personally I wouldn’t mind if Congress employed some of the methods of truthseeking recommended by Gonzo himself for "detainees", if only to find out how quaint the Geneva Conventions would seem now, I’ll have to quell my more base carnal needs and be satisfied with the bipartisan grilling dished out today in our fair capitol.

Needless to say, broadcast evening news barely bothered to cover the hearing, especially in light of the horrific events that occurred at Virginia Tech earlier this week. My heart goes out to the family and friends of those lost, but perhaps it’s time for the glare of the spotlight to move on and allow those folks a chance to grieve outside of the media Petri dish. And I can’t help but remember that as horrible as Monday morning was, by Monday next other killers, some suicidal, some not, will have probably snuffed out in a week as many American soldiers, and certainly far more Iraqis, than the sad, deluded fools at VT, Columbine or on the University of Texas clock-tower ever dreamed of murdering.

In light of that, and all the other distractions being offered up by corporate media, I’d like to offer a big hat’s-off to Truthout and their writers, specifically Scott Galindez, Victoria Harper, Matt Renner, Jason Leopold, and of course William Rivers Pitt, for their blow-by-blow accounts of the gaffing of one of the first "big fish" of this administration. A special shout-out is in order to Jason, for reporting the response from the observers and protesters at the close of the hearing (na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye), as well as the tally, kept all day by a member of the gallery, of 74 separate responses of "I don’t recall" by the guest of honor. In the words of the late Mr. Gleason, "how sweet it is".

My friend Enigma has been waiting for her Watergate Summer. I hope it’s coming quickly on the heels of my Springtime in Paris. Au revoir.


full coverage at http://www.truthout.org/AlbertoCongress.shtml

12 Comments:

Blogger Dada said...

Oh, how nice to see your getting your groove back Mel. I watched, rapt, this morning as Amy Goodman of Dem. Now! did highlights from the Gonzo hearing yesterday. During the break she played "the song" and--not knowing that's how the hearing wrapped up--I just thought Amy was being particularly devilish in her choice of music.

When she came back from break, she was wearing a big smile (always a guest or particular coverage is pleasing to her). But at the end of hearing Amy took more pleasure in showing us Gonzo's farewell serenade as he was departing the gallery.

But I still wonder if, like Seinfeld's "George Costanza" even if they fired Gonzo, cut his phones, and boarded up his office door, he might--like George--manage to get back in there by crawling through the ventilation ducts. (Being the AG, he probably has the schematics of the building.)

1:05 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

Hmmm...and silly me, I was thinking more along the lines of prosecution for obstruction of justice. Not to mention the lying to Congress charge; you have to drink a LOT of Kool-aid to watch even excerpts of Thursday's hearing and not be blown away by the shear lunacy of Gonzo's prevarications. I'm still advocating jailtime for all of these crooks -- the Gonz, the Condi, Unca Sneer, and of course ol' W himself, just to name the obvious. Anything short of long term meaningful sentences for the damage these swine have visited upon the country, and the entire world is an insult to human decency itself.

A girl can dream, can't she?

9:51 AM  
Blogger Dada said...

Mel: I was just listening to Bush's reaction to Gonzo's Thurs. testimony. W is more impressed by the Gonz' than ever.

This confirms my suspicions - they all have the schematics to the capitol...there'll be no getting rid of any of 'em without bloodshed I'm afraid (mostly ours).

As I watched them erecting walls around Bagdad to protect Iraqis (against their wishes), I couldn't help feel how impotent the poor Iraqis felt. And then I couldn't help wonder how much longer it will be before WE HERE IN AMERICA ARE THOSE POOR IRAQIS?

Ravished, lost and impotent. Or as Rosa Luxemburg put it (so much better than I) re Americans, "Those who do not move, do not notice their chains."

Yes, Mel, we can dream. Dreams may be all we're left.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you gotta erect walls to ensure survival within your own country, you don't have a democracy, you have Berlin. Ich bin ein Baghdader.

Mel, that TruthOut blow-by-blow was superb, thanks! If I was Gonzo, I might be recalling Bush's full support of Rummy right up to when he took him out on the 'Fredo boat for his final fishing trip.

But I'm not feeling too good about Springtime In Paris since a gallic neocon bush-supporting right-wing presidential candidate did so well in the first-round votes this Sunday. I wonder if France will now be supporting (perhaps even leading, since they've got plenty of unemployed nukes) our big push into Iran? ~~ D.K.

9:32 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

Hey Deke...loving the Fredo wisecrack! Let's just hope France doesn't fall into the trendy bombing campaign du jour.

****

dada, sometimes you seem to be the mirror image to my cheerful (if somewhat sarcastic) optimism -- a necessary balance, in my opinion. Just don't forget the Ivins dictum: Keep raising hell.

Or my own: Keep their feet to the fire, and fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. Nixon thought he was bullet-proof, too.

Shalom, y'all.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Dada said...

Mel: Ditto, yes. I often look in the mirror and, instead of "me", I see "you"! Thanks for the encouragement to "keep their feet to the fire, and fuck'em if they can't take a joke."

Sometimes encouragement is so lacking or difficult to find, despite knowing that some "poll" saying a "whopping" 61% don't approve of these jokesters.

Thanks for the "cover" as we charge the Hill. Okay, I'm looking to my left...and you're there...."Go 'head, I'll cover you!"

"Go, go!"

8:38 PM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Mel,
Mr. Gravel gave me hope when he dressed down the "first tier" politicians in the debate. Damn, we need some strong Dems who will quit playing political patty cake with the criminal cabal and start pointing out the evil truth. I hope Gravel stays in this race, and dang I would love to see him questioning Fredo. I would love to see him take on this whole bunch, Dems included. Let's keep raising hell and let's make our elected officials start raising a little hell.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy M.Day to your mama, Mel. Hope it's a good day down there for all. ~~ 5/12/07 D.K.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, are you MIA now, too? ~~ 5/28/07 D.K.

5:34 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Okay Mel....after many hellish monthes I am trying to find you now too....I am back after much.....I will keep searching...and hoping....miss you...

11:59 PM  
Blogger deuddersun said...

Wher u been gurlfren?

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

d.

8:18 AM  
Blogger BBC said...

It's an insane world out there, just try to stay out of the monkeys way.

Nice bike, be very careful out there on it.

I was just looking at one of my old posts from Sept 2006 and spotted your comment so thought I would drop by and check on you. Peaceful paths.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home