The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Save the Liver!

And not bad advice for any of us who've been over-imbibing for the holidays. But leave it to Seattle to give me a newsday of note to enjoy on my way out of town.

Woke up, of course, to the news of the student-on-student school shooting in Tacoma. What a nice welcome back to school for the Foss High kids. Incredibly sad and stupid.

But, wait. The day, it gets better.

We have a science/art show in town called "Bodies...The Exhibition". While I'm one of the people who've questioned the tastefulness, much less the ethics of this little exercise in public plasticized autopsy, it came to light today that over the holiday weekend someone stole a human kidney from one of the displays.

Folks, this beats a geoduck hands down any day for weirdness.

Meanwhile, the nice Thai folks who run the little Denny Market across the street from my apartment are sending me off with their best wishes and a little red Macy's gift bag full of munchies for the long bus trip. I am going from love here to love at home. A person can't be any more blessed.

The next adventure starts in the morning!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now THAT Exhibition sounds even stranger than the Saco de Toro display in Tucumcari NM. At least there, the "parts" were offered for sale (and so I HAD to buy "a set"). No one had to steal any for nefarious purposes. Though I'm sure the bulls they used to be attached to questioned the tastefulness.

oooh, Thai munchies for your trip! What a wonderful idea. Your fellow travelers with their PBnJ's will be so jealous. OK, say goodnight Gracie ... Goodnight! ~~ D.K.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

Bye Mel, for now. See you soon.

Deke, I know you'll know where she is, make sure you put me in your Meldonna's whereabouts and how she's doin' loop.

Safe Travels my friend. Peace and Love

4:03 AM  
Blogger Dada said...

Geez, as usual, late again. Nothing but an empty apartment save for a computer casing with hard drive ripped out.

I imagine Mel's down with the Greyhounds (they still DO have greyhounds, right?), waiting to board a Wayward Bus and I imagine the lucky passengers whose lives will be forever changed by those lucky enough to engage Mel in conversation over the next 2,000 miles.

Sorry I missed the send off. Now what am I to do with this parting gift of Animal Crackers?

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go, girl...You're the best.

VPG

6:56 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Wow,
A bus! How interesting. You will have time to see the country and meet all sorts of people. I cannot imagine a bus ride from Seattle to Little Rock, but I bet it is grueling and sweet all at the same time.

A labor of love. The best.

Do tell all when you have a chance.

Crossed appendages!

4:32 PM  
Blogger deuddersun said...

dam, mel, once went crosscountry, Philly to LA in a bus. Would never want to do that again!

Good luck! Write when you get there!

d.

8:19 AM  
Blogger azgoddess said...

come back soon!!!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heard of the latest shooting.... even way over here in the armpit of America...
Anyhow, I will miss you....like the blog... keep it coming....keep in touch :) Love ya girl... Mama~cita

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you, girl?

VPG

4:44 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

1/11/07 I am going to call down there yonder and see if you made it...miss you much...

The Delusional King continues his trend of spitting out more myths and lies...

hope you are safe and sound...

3:31 AM  
Blogger deuddersun said...

Hey girl, if you get near a pooter, it's Ladies Night at my place and you and your girlfriends are all invited!

Hope all is well with you. Write soon.

d.

3:46 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

January 11, 2007

To all...

Man it's great to log on to all you guys and your kind thoughts. And when I have a computer at home, do I have some stories to tell!

Be talkin' to youse soon.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home