The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Monday, December 18, 2006

You

In little more than a month, the 110th Congress of the United States will convene. Since the election, that went better for Democrats than most of my friends and myself had dared hope for, there has been the fairly normal period of lull before the new blood comes in. But will the change in leadership make a difference?

Anyone who been even halfway paying attention to the White House already knows it doesn’t mean squat to the Decider. Oh, he’s changed his public rhetoric somewhat; his beloved mantra “stay the course” has become passé, ney, even verboten. In fact, I’ve heard him several times in the past month claim that it has never been his policy. This despite the literally hundreds of times you’ve heard the words come from his lips since about the time his got all gussied up in his flight suit for that dog-and-pony show on the Abe Lincoln. How fucking stupid does he think we are?

Let’s be clear at this point: Bush has ABSOLUTELY no intention whatsoever of changing operating policy in Iraq. Period. All that sound and fury surrounding the Iraq Study Group signifies nada. It’s simply more spin intended to give the impression that something constructive is going on at the White House.

Meanwhile, back at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue, after offering the sop of a pittance raise in the minimum wage, Democratic leaders have fallen over themselves declaring impeachment “off the table”, the single most stupid bit of public hoo-ha since the prosecution declared that they wouldn’t seek the death penalty against O.J. Simpson. That certainly worked out well, didn’t it?

Time Magazine has declared its “Person of the Year” for 2006 to be you. And specifically, you folks who blog, who join grassroots groups, who sign petitions. You folks with your camera phones keeping cops, who for decades have been on an ass-whoopin’ spree with impunity, on their toes for a change, at least in public. You folks who went to the polls in droves demanding a new direction for the country, and an end to our involvement in Iraq. You.

Well, it’s high time we, you and me, commenced some “shock and awe” of our own. We have to use every tool at our disposal to shake, rattle, and roll the Capitol. Scream from the street corners, talk about it to strangers in bars, friends at church, and any-bloody-body else you can pidgeonhole. Be obnoxious and relentless. And develop a sense of fun while you do it. Don't ever forget we are right, and the right is wrong.

The Iraq Quagmire isn’t located in Mesopotamia. The mess is in Washington, and if we let the new blood slide into the bad habits of the old rascals, all we’re going to get for all the hard work we’ve done so far is more money-friendly bullshit, and more boxes covered in flags shipped home. Honor our troops and end the lie.

Impeach Cheney. Impeach Bush. Then remove both from office. It is the only way the war in Iraq ends. Then, and only then, move on to clean up the mess of filthy lucre that is K Street, so we can finally rid ourselves of government of, by, and for the corporations. It’s as obvious as the ass on My Pet Goat.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christ,
I wrote about my great dissillusionment of Pelosi yanking impeachment off the table yesterday. I did write about us doing anything about it, I just was so blue. Anyway, if you want to check out my story Where is the Snark. It is amazing how many bloggers are starting to get really pissed off and that is a good thing. I used the same line about showing up in droves to vote. Well we sure as shit did not do that just to have Nancy and Harry say "no impeachment," and now Harry says, "Sure, I have no problem with a troop surge in Iraq." Guess what Harry, I have a big fuckin' problem with a troop surge in Iraq and a big problem with you and Nancy and your political patty-cake with the Devils. Jeesh. I could go on and on. Thanks for getting me out of the dumps and just plain old pissed off again. Great post.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say, I did NOT write about us doing anything about it.

12:02 PM  
Blogger deuddersun said...

Thank you for being kind and gracious. I have one last thing to ask you. Please check out my blog one more time.

Best wishes,

d.

1:34 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

Deud...one last time? No, honey, you're on my Favorites list. I'm moving the first week of January, and may be offline on and off until I get set back up, but I imagine I'll enjoy keeping up with your comments, blogs, and whatnot. I've seen you around at Spadoman, e4e, dada, etc...I know we're working for the same things. Like I said, good to have a new friend, and no harm, no foul.

On top of everything, you're a gridiron man...my Seahawks are pretty much toast this year, but how 'bout those Arkansas Hawgs? I'm looking forward to the Tangerine Bowl (or as they call it these days Cap One). It'll be a helluva match, but you know I'll be calling them Hogs.

Thanks again for putting me on your blogroll...I'd do the same but I'm techno-challenged. I am honored.

******

karena, I hear ya. We elected them; now we got to hold their feet to the fire. Off the table my ass...whose table does Nancy think she's sitting at anyway? This is OUR FUCKING COUNTRY, and I want it back.

BTW, for new people at Baja Mel's, feel free to hum "Battle Hymn of the Republic" as you read my latest post. The truth is marching on, y'all.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, gotta say you're beautiful when you're angry, mel. how are we gonna survive when your blog goes dark in a few days. I feel like I'm on a countdown.

and you're sooo right, all our reps need to hear from us speaking up plainly & forcefully. we the people. they work for US.

Harry Reid's on my list for another letter soon. I'm so looking forward to reminding him once again about his searchlight past when his mom washed sheets for the local bordellos. Plus I happen to know he never paid for some of his election material when he first ran for congress (since I wrote it off as a Bad Debt). Don't worry, it won't sound this disconnected. I'll make it apply to Iraq & Impeachment. ~~ D.K.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

It's time to get pissed and shout out at the ones we helped to stop the red tide. We did out part, now do yours! I feel some feet to the fire post coming on soon!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

I hear you folks, it is time to hold some feet to the fire. Who's table does Nancy think she's sitting at? I will serve up a mess-o-vittles to that little twit if she would sit at my table so I can tell her just what's on my mind. She wants to play Miss Nicey-nice with the biggest cabal of thugs and killers ever installed in our government so we can get a Democrat elected in '08? Guess what, Miss Nicey-nice, no wine or dessert for you until you lap up the heap-o-shit I serve and say "Yes Mam, please, thank you," and "Can I have some more, Madam?" Yikes, I've gone off my rocker again, having some weird fantasy about force feeding Nancy until she impeaches the President.

2:15 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

Deke, glad to hear you got your writing pen handy...I think we should all consider spending the winter doing some homework. We're all good and pissed; now we got to let them know it. Right, Donnie?

**********

Pursey, long as Nancy gets a big ol' heapin' helpin' of honesty, I'll help you supply the hospitality ~~ and buy the feeding tube! This going to the O.K. Corral with a unloaded gun is beyond me.

It's not easy having a good time these days. Even smiling makes my face ache.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Mel,

I am sorry that smiling makes your face ache. You have a lot going on and with that dang head cold I can see why it hurts to smile.

I do not get that Nancy Pelosi woman one bit. She may have a secret weapon she plans to pull out in January, but you know what, I could give a shit. I am sick of these politicians playing politics. This is a war and she needs to get her game on. Damn. I cannot even think about it anymore. That is why I write silly shit on GA, I get so whipped up over this stuff it makes me start gagging.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home