The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Monday, January 23, 2006

toga, toga, toga

There is a crazy idea, started by Wm. Rivers Pitt, going around on the 'net...which I thoroughly support. To wit, the Democrats should walk out on Shrub's State of the Union Address.

Yeah, it's crazy. But incredibly simple. At an agreed-upon point, all Senators and Representives of the Democratic Party should silently stand up, and leave. Personally, I think they should hum "The Star-Spangled Banner" as they go, but I confess to seeing "Animal House" at a young age.

Watching W go Dean Wormer would be worth it, though...

I've got a draft of a letter, suitable for sending to Congressional Democrats; I suggest you cut and paste (most of the time, I've noticed to email a pol you have to use their form...eck). Be sure you put your own name in -- and better yet, get your like minded friends to let you sign them to it too, in a list. And send it to as many Dems in Congress as you can. We keep voting for these lousy bastids...they owe us one!

Text for letter below:


Dear Democratic Congressional Member,

In view of the current situation in our country, I urge you, and every other Democratic member of Congress, to make a bold, and long overdue, statement during the upcoming State of the Union address to be delivered by George W. Bush scheduled for the evening of January 31, 2006. On behalf of all of the people who voted against Bush, on behalf of all of the people in this country who have come to see that this president does not have the good of our country at the basis of his leadership, and on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have come to realize that the president and his administration simply has bad judgement, I have a request:

Please get up and walk out of the televised event.

I, and many like me, think the most efficient form this basic protest could take is for the Democratic side of the aisle to walk out en masse.

I urge you and your colleagues to make this dramatic gesture in acknowledgement of the need for solidarity amongst elected Democrats, progressives, and the pragmatic. Our Constitution is being ignored, our people are being lied to, and the very existence of our country as a representative democracy is in danger of perishing from the face of the earth.

We’ve been told freedom isn’t free. I recall Thomas Jefferson reminding us that dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

We, the people, ask you to do this, and uphold your oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

Sincerely,
(your name here)





Al Franken plays the Faber Anthem while he covers What We Learned Today. Myself, I'm a happy grad of the School of Hard Knocks. I leave you with the immortal words of John (Bluto) Belushi:

LET'S DO IT!!!!!!!


(note to those copying...leave out the pic, alright? we want them to do this thing)

7 Comments:

Blogger enigma4ever said...

TOGA TOGA....great post and great idea...now go over to the Big Brass Alliance SCROLL ROLL and add yourself...go on and do it..it's an awesome idea...just do it...

( I love Belushi and Animal House is a Classic....)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I WISH THEY WOULD do it. That would be worth every tear I've shed for my dear misguided Dems...
Some groups are calling for symbolic noise during the propaganda, like bells and pots. Wonder if incessant cursing qualifies...

8:10 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

incessant foul language always counts....

as does the infamous Bullshitcough...esp when 1000's do at it once...

3:16 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

Ladies, I'm busy tonight sending emails to members of Congress; I've already covered my locals, and am starting on the list of Dem House members. Feel free to share this idea with all your fellow rabble-rousers; like Molly Ivins says, we don't win often, but we should have fun trying anyway!

Weren't you both proud of the folks at Gonzales's bloviation today that stood up and turned their backs on him? That absolutely ROCKED! You know, I just got a mental image of Alberto screaming "ALL IS WELL" ala Kevin Bacon. I'm sticking with my Animal House motif...

lily ~~ Trust me, any time Bush appears on TV, many in this country break into instant Tourette's Syndrome. I myself wax so blue sailors would leave the bar.

e ~~ I can always depend on you to make me laugh, nay; GUFFAW! And we need all the chucks we can get these days, huh?

Thanks to both of youse guys...

7:23 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I LOVED THAT PROTEST! That was awesome, that made my day. We need more where that came from!
Checking in on you, meldonna. Keep emailing.

8:53 PM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Don't Forget that Will Rivers Pitt ( Truhtout Alumni)
is over at Democratic Underground too...covering the Filibuster progress...as of Sat 34- 4 to go folks..

2:25 AM  
Blogger meldonna said...

And the big bunch of chickens just sat there...listening to the fool.

Oh, well. Won't be the last time I tilt at a windmill. It was still fun!

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home