The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Blessed are the peacemakers...

Seems there was something seriously amiss in San Diego this week...

Last weekend was the annual Pride Festival in Balboa Park. Reports are conflicting, but it seems that five gay men were assaulted (beaten and stabbed) by at least three individuals while leaving the festival.

I looked up some news reports on this. Is it my understanding the five attacked were ambushed and done one by one?

It's never failed to amaze me it seems to take at least three straight men, usually armed with either clubs and/or knives, to bash one queer. At best, one has to question the basic manliness of the 'tough guys'.

And rarely do they shoot us, unless it's a couple of lesbians out in the williwags hiking, stalked by an anonymous sniper. Years ago.

That's got to tell you how strong we are...

Until we get our country back, until we get the people to understand the danger of hate, no one, gay or straight, will be safe.

Until we get the people to understand that gay marriage in no way undermines straight marriage, no one is safe.

Until we realize we've put our troops in a dessert version of Vietnam, overseeing a predictable civil war, no one is safe.

Ask any woman on the ground in US uniform if she doesn't watch her back with extra care -- not from enemy fire, but being caught alone by her own soldiers.

How bad does it have to get in Iraq, between "collateral damage", our troops without a clear mission, and what's been obvious all along, that we are training the insurgents exactly how to whop big army, before we finally wake up?

W's Daddy was craven, and lead many Iraqis to rebel, and then be hammered by Saddam for doing so without support in Gulf War One. But at least he wasn't foolish enough to wade in. Bush II has plunged the entire neighborhood into conflict, because he didn't understand one simple fact Daddy did -- you cannot remove a strongman and leave a vaccuum.

September 11th was a Tuesday; the next weekend, over a million people in Tehran, Iran, rallied to show SUPPORT for the United States. Do you remember? Shia women, as usual with their faces covered, crying and lighting candles? It was a stark reminder that the world hates to see innocent people die.

And can you imagine how different our world would be had Albert Gore been allowed to take his elected post? If 9-11 couldn't have been thwarted, at the least we would have went after the terrorists themselves, aligned ourselves with a universally appalled world, and treated them as the gnats at a picnic they are. We'd now be focused on global issues like disease, the environment, and working towards more places resembling Ireland than making more places resemble Somalia.

A viral infection in a herd of cattle can cause a lot of damage. Do you blow up the barn, the farmhouse, and the neighbors?

Keep on blogging, friends...I guess we know who the Patriots are. And we know who the Tories are, too.

Blessed indeed are the peacemakers, for they will survive and endure.

10 Comments:

Blogger Spadoman said...

Mel....This is a great post. It says in simple terms just what we actually do need to be concerned with.

It's the guy in the blue jacket, not "the black guy"
It's those two women over there, not "the lesbos"

Stop the judging, stop the hate. Start forgiving, it's not too late.

More later, I been busy.

Peace

3:50 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

Nice to meet you, Mel, and thanks for blogging about this...all of this violence is connected...as are all acts of peace.

I saw a jailhouse interview with the leader of the gay-bashing pack. He claims that there is no way it can be a hate crime b/c he had spent a couple of hours inside the Pride festival earlier in the day, "just checking things out." okaaaaayyyyy.....

Good to see you here, Spadoman!

11:07 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Spadoman and Bluegirl thanks for weighing on this too...and Mel thanks for writing a great post on this- you kicked ass..and yeah, guess what it is ALL connected and we have to Wise Up and see IT now- or pay more dearly every second of every day....Hate is not a occasional ooops with this Regime- it is a Way of Life ( hmm or is it death ?....)
Thanks for keeping it real- and keeping us focused...

10:27 PM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

"September 11th was a Tuesday; the next weekend, over a million people in Tehran, Iran, rallied to show SUPPORT for the United States. Do you remember? Shia women, as usual with their faces covered, crying and lighting candles? It was a stark reminder that the world hates to see innocent people die.

And can you imagine how different our world would be had Albert Gore been allowed to take his elected post? If 9-11 couldn't have been thwarted, at the least we would have went after the terrorists themselves, aligned ourselves with a universally appalled world, and treated them as the gnats at a picnic they are. We'd now be focused on global issues like disease, the environment, and working towards more places resembling Ireland than making more places resemble Somalia.

A viral infection in a herd of cattle can cause a lot of damage. Do you blow up the barn, the farmhouse, and the neighbors?'


As Tavis Smiley would say,

Let the church say, "amen"!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Dada said...

Mel: A few days back, I was sitting in a motel in Raton, NM, reading your Jack Sparrow blog. I was so impressed I was compelled to comment.

Sadly, the new laptop I was using is extremely sensitive to fingers on or near the little pad substitute for a mouse (perhaps adjustable? I've yet to investigate.)

Anyway, I lost that comment when suddenly the computer went beserk because of where a thumb was resting or something. I lost the comment that was inspired by your blog, so well researched, so gently educational.

And now I'm back after reading this latest entry of yours to thank you for another great post. Always well documented and often 'remindful' of past events too often forgotten. Thanks, Mel.

But sadly I confess, Mel, that more and more the reason I suspect that reason "W" didn't capitalize on the tremendous global groundswell of support the US had post 9-11 was because the "terrorists" and their "leader", Bin Laden, were nothing more than front men patsies for the neocon agenda conceived a decade earlier and carried out on 9/11?

I don't know what the truth is. I suspect we'll never completely know. But until we reassert ourselves as controllers of our own fates, deciders of what's important to us and where we'll draw the lines in the sands that government shall not violate without our given permission, we shall always be destined to the fates dealt us by petty thugs, like those (not just in the executive branch) in DC.

It's past time to kick ass. Too soon it will be too late. Thanks for reminding readers of this. (Er, that's what you were reminding us, right? [grin])

4:48 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

Lawdy! I take a few days away from my blog, and everybody shows up! ***that'll teach me***

Too cool, spadoman. I look forward to a day when we can all celebrate our own ethnic diversity instead of being judged by ugly stereotypes...I prefer to think instead of a melting pot, we should strive to be a big salad bar; each ingredient unique but contributing to the delish of the dish. I'd have gone with a pizza metaphor, but so many people hate anchovies...

bluegrrrrl, welcome, and it's great to hear from you! I have to wonder if the idiot attempting to disclaim the hate of the crimes is either a) admitting he cased the joint, or b) a big old closet case himself trying to look good in front of his homies. As they say down in Tejas, they need to throw his ass UNDER the jail.

e, the regime we're under knows only how to spread destruction. Hate destroys, love builds. The regime is not only guilty of abuse, but neglect as well -- in almost every facet one can think of. I haven't forgotten I first met you online because we were both profoundly disturbed and angry over the destruction of New Orleans; I do pray we have no major storms in that area this year, with so many still displaced. It is still mind-boggling to me, with all we've seen, that this administration has yet to be run out of Washington on the third rail in toto. I'm waiting for the returns to come in in Connecticut; Kissyface (as bartcop calls him) Lieberman's downfall is the first goodsize crack I've seen in the Wall in a while. Lord knows it is WAY past time the Dems cleaned house, as it were. Go Lamont!

vigilante, thanks for chiming in as well. You know, I remember being told so many things back in the fall of 2001 that we should do, or else it would indicate that "the terrorists have won". Being the fairly simple woman I am, I have always assumed the terrorist wins when he makes many folks, well, terrified. Isn't it incredible that Bush has turned out to be the best recruiter and trainer of terrorists in history? Excuse me while I pop another brewski (because, of course, if I don't, the terrorists have won). In the words of Dr. Dre, can I get a hell yeah? (and a big shout out for bringing up Brother Tavis, one of the heroes in my personal pantheon).

dada, I sure would have loved to see your original comment on the Pirate post -- and I feel your pain. I tend to keep a Word window open to copy to, as I've had blogger throw away two-three hours of work too durn many times! In any event, I agree that many of the things we've seen since 2000 really work my conspiracy nerve. I mean, whether by nature or human fuckery, it seems that no disaster can't be used to turn a profit -- I can deal with leaders who blunder from time to time; it's the naked greed that really sets my teeth on edge. Take heart, my friend. I know sometimes we seem do nothing but preach to the choir; but the support we get from each other is so valuable. It not only strenghtens our own online families, it sharpens up our ability to debate (trust me, I'm from Arkansas originally -- nothing will confound a redstate inlaw as much as down to earth facts!). All of us progressive bloggers get more hits than we realize; many more people read than comment. I do try to stay on point -- which is simply America can do better.

And I just got an update online (8:43pm Pacific time, quarter to eleven East Coast); Lamont has won the primary in Connecticut. I do believe I'm going to have another beer!!!!!!!

I'm hearing Mellencamp in my noggin: And the Walls, come tumblin' down...

Sweet!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

Chit Mel....I Like anchovies!!!

Peace my friend

4:04 AM  
Blogger azgoddess said...

first time here and wow !!

blessed are the peacemakers...and may they all start waking up and getting involved!!

i too remember the images of men and women and children all over the world with candles and vigils after 9/11...it was so powerful

and sad

as they all hate our government now - and i will not say us (US) - as i believe that they do understand we are sleeping and just starting to wake up..and like mother earth, as being as patient as they can

9:32 AM  
Blogger meldonna said...

hey, spad, I'm kinda fond of the salty little buggers myself...

welcome, az goddess! Glad you could come by. As for anyone hating the US, I can guaranttee you it's not, as W says, because they hate freedom. Then again, in Bush's mind Iraq is free; if you drink that Kool-Aid, maybe that IS exactly where the hate comes from. Talk about self-fufilling prophesy!

I still just get a kick seeing the Big Dog anytime he's abroad, and the reaction. Bill Clinton gets mobbed like a rock star in Europe. Of course, the European folks never did give a fig one way or another about Monica.

I'm hoping the next two years show a steady increase in the light at the end of the tunnel. Joe's primary loss in CT sure has that kind of glow to it...

4:45 PM  
Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home