The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Slow news day

Well, other than that idiot who decided to shoot up Tacoma Mall. Moron should have stayed home and watched football -- the Seahawks pulled out a squeaker in San Francisco.

But anyhow, I wanted to comment on some things I found in my online meandering. First of which is this photo I happened upon of Machu Picchu, taken at sunrise, that actually took my breath away. I think it speaks for itself.

And on to other issues...

As an old Chinese curse says, we live in interesting times. It is hard not to get completely bogged down in cynicism these days, but I'm taking a bit of a day off (it is Sunday, after all), and turning my attention away from the current scandals, crises, and irritations. I've been indulging in some sheerly fun 'net surfing; for example, reading up on John Dillinger (one of my favorite outlaws). Did you know there is a John Dillinger Died For You Society? It was started back in (I think) the '70s, and has apparently been revived. Membership includes credentials stating that the member is an official Assistant Treasurer, authorized to collect membership fees from new members of the Society, and keep them. Because that's the way John would have wanted it.

Then I've also come across some articles about the current troubles facing unions in this country. While I understand there has traditionally been some corruption in the higher levels of trade unions, I feel, after giving much thought to the research I've done on the subject, that unions as a whole have been painted with a much darker brush than they have ever deserved. Don't forget, these are the guys in the early part of the last century who fought and literally died to give us some basic workplace rights. I support the unions because they gave us the weekend.

I must sign off for now...I'm fixing me a nice dinner of yakisoba, with seasoned rice and shrimp on the side. Should be ready in time for "Desperate Housewives". Sunday is my day of happy guilty pleasures -- I'll probably have a big bowl of ice cream before I go to bed!

Because John would have wanted it that way.

2 Comments:

Blogger enigma4ever said...

Great photo...wish I was there...and the Dillinger Club- very nice...Does Al Capone have one too ? Glad you're back....I stop by every now and then....and was happy to see new post...

8:07 PM  
Blogger meldonna said...

I'll have to Google Capone for any possible fan clubs; I'm not sure he has the same sort of Robin Hood appeal of Dillinger, but then again, one never knows what she might find on the 'net!

Hope you had a Happy and decadent Thanksgiving (burp!) and many turkey sandwiches to come.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home