The American Renaissance

Baja Canada del Sur: Comedy and Comment in the Age of Occupation

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

found done in needlepoint on Mel's Front Porch: I Pledge Alligence to the Constitution of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it guarantees, One Nation, Undeniable, with Liberty, Truth, and Justice for All.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Two Americas

I was listening to Air America tonight, and heard a brother call in and say there are two Americas, one of which is "oh, my, this is horrible, where's my checkbook." And I hear that. I'm a white woman, originally from Little Rock Arkansas, where some folks are still stirred up about 1957. Myself, anybody who bleeds red is just as human as me, and hurts just as deeply.

Now here I am up in Seattle, and still hearing this same stupid talk about 'they' were told to evacuate. I'm lucky enough to have a job - temp - and live in low-income housing. I'm extremely lucky, as the housing I live in is a lot nicer than any I've ever known. I live from paycheck to paycheck, and have all my life. Up here in the northwest, I see a lot of the 'get out the checkbook' and ain't nothin' wrong with that. But I absolutely see red when someone around here tells me some shit about 'they' should have got out when they could.

There is more than one America. There's the poor folks, there's the 'middle class', and then there's the aristocracy. Two out of three are useful, and the third have pooled all the resources. And if you are white and have looked at the images on television for the past week, and cannot see yourself there, you are a fucking racist. Period.

That goes for you, too, Condi.

1 Comments:

Blogger meldonna said...

Joe?
No.

Spamalot?
No mas, idiot.

loveyalikeacoldsore,
*mel

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home